September 13, 2009: Lots Of Freakin' Spaceships
If you like SF gaming, you probably like spaceships. And if you're a GURPS player who likes spaceships, you likely know about GURPS Spaceships, by David Pulver. What you might not know is that this is an entire series, planned to go to at least eight volumes! We've already released half of these:
- GURPS Spaceships. The core rules for spaceship design, operations, and combat. This is a simple-but-powerful modular system, easily tweaked to reflect your campaign's tech assumptions. You need this to use the later installments in the series!
- GURPS Spaceships 2: Traders, Liners, and Transports. A catalog of commercial vessels for PCs bent on becoming shipping magnates . . . or merely making a buck as free traders. Adds rules for financing, operating expenses, and speculative trade.
- GURPS Spaceships 3: Warships and Space Pirates. Rules for tactical space combat, with support for miniatures and maps, plus an armada of deadly spacecraft ready to duke it out with beams, guns, and missiles.
- GURPS Spaceships 4: Fighters, Carriers, and Mecha. Additional support for fighter and mecha engagements – including cinematic combat options – along with lots of small craft and huge carriers to launch them from.
And don't worry – we're making good progress on the remaining titles:
- GURPS Spaceships 5: Exploration and Colony Spacecraft. Craft for surveying distant systems, settling worlds, and making first contact, accompanied by additional rules support for such operations. In production.
- GURPS Spaceships 6: Mining and Space Industry. Once you've explored and colonized, it's time to exploit – and this supplement supplies the vessels and game mechanics. Give transports cargoes and navies something to fight over! In production.
- GURPS Spaceships 7: Strange and Alien Spacecraft. With emphasis on "strange"! A catalog of design options for gamers who like their spaceships fantastic, horrific, steampunk-ish, or just plain weird. In first draft, headed to playtest.
- GURPS Spaceships 8: Transhuman Spacecraft. The Rosetta stone for adapting Transhuman Space vessels to the Spaceships system. In design.
-- Sean Punch